EDGAR, PLEASE READ! =)

Moderator:DoE

jcmusic
EDGAR, PLEASE READ! =)

Post by jcmusic » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:14 pm

Edgar,

I have recently moved to Natchitoches, Louisiana where I am attending college to complete my Bachelor's in Music Education. I'm in the orchestra here, and I've been talking to the director about performing some music that I've written. He's finally agreed to do just that, and the piece I am getting performed is the newest piece I just uploaded to the SVN. It's like "DoE_take###" or something like that. I can't remember, just look it up in the SVN and take a listen. It's not finished yet, so it just ends rather abruptly, but that is the piece that I am getting performed at a Children's concert on March 26th. The director and I agree that this will be a very good way to relate orchestral music to young children, through the use of video games, since so many children play them.

The director has asked if I could provide artwork for the game to play as a PowerPoint file while the orchestra plays. I thought it would be a wonderful idea for a number of reasons:

1. The artwork will enhance the listener's experience.
2. Your artwork will be featured like a gallery, and I will mention your name if you want. It's good advertising. Children will be there, but so will their parents.
3. This is an excellent way to advertise the game and the company.
4. This will hopefully inspire several youngsters to draw, write or play music, or become involved with the game design process when they are older.
5. Generate appreciation for the arts on all levels, and even show that not ALL games are a bad influence on children!!

I have already talked with Mike, and he thinks it is a wonderful idea. If you like the idea too, and if you agree to display your artwork, then would you mind coming up with some scenic artwork that will reflect that piece of music? I know you're working hard and are producing quite a bit of art, and we can still use some of the art that you've already come up with. I just want to make sure that the artwork we use (if you agree, of course) will reflect the piece of music. It's a very beautiful, surreal piece of music. Maybe huge a huge waterfall, bright blue skies, magical beings everywhere you look. Whatever, you're the artist!

Let me know if you're up for this. Your artwork will be protected if you decide to do this. It will be my own PowerPoint, and it will be on my own flash drive, and it will be removed from the flash drive once the performance is over. We'll just make sure to upload it to the SVN as well so we can have it for ourselves, too, of course. I know this is a lot of extra work, but I think it would be a true, genuine experience for everyone involved.

And, of course, you are more than welcome to attend the concert if you want to. I'm not sure where you live, it might be a fair amount of traveling, but that is totally up to you. I could get you free tickets, of course. I could get anybody in our team free tickets if they want to attend. I don't have a location or time for the concert yet, but I will soon.

Think about it and let me know! =)
My e-mail is Justinkcox@ymail.com - or you can just reply to this thread.
Justin K. Cox
DoE Lead Composer
http://www.justinkcox.com
Justinkcox@ymail.com

TBQ

Re: EDGAR, PLEASE READ! =)

Post by TBQ » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:04 pm

I would email this to his gmail, hon, so he gets it for sure - not sure if he checks the forums very often.
Lead Writer, Game Designer and Project Manager for Brokenthorn Entertainment.
E-Mail: kristy-leigh.minehan@brokenthorn.com

Wolf

Post by Wolf » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:11 pm

Louisiana, huh? I'm in Wisconsin, so I won't be able to come, but I really would love to see it.

TBQ

Post by TBQ » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:39 pm

Actually, perhaps you could get it videotaped somehow for us to watch, J.C?
Lead Writer, Game Designer and Project Manager for Brokenthorn Entertainment.
E-Mail: kristy-leigh.minehan@brokenthorn.com

jcmusic

Post by jcmusic » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:56 pm

It's possible. If the event is held here at the college (which I think it will be) then I am sure I can find someone to video tape it. Actually, if this event is to take place in the Magale Recital hall, then I believe they already have cameras and mics. Watch soundstage doesn't?

I'll find out soon, thanks for the idea =)
(TBQ, what's his gmail addy?)
Justin K. Cox
DoE Lead Composer
http://www.justinkcox.com
Justinkcox@ymail.com

ejuhkov

Post by ejuhkov » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:54 pm

Congratz dude :D

I'll create a piece for this! Must discuss this further on IRC 8)