Pure multithreading/multicore processors?

OS Design, Theory, and Programming

Moderator:Moderators

michael
Pure multithreading/multicore processors?

Post by michael » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:58 am

Well I think my question is pretty much covered in the title :) lol..

Im the kind of person that can find ways around stuff so im not asking how to do locks on objects and all that stuff that comes along with that.. Just how do I start execution of something on another processor? Oh and how do I find out how many processors are installed on the system?

Thanks

Andyhhp

Post by Andyhhp » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:28 am

The CPUID instruction can be used to find out how many cores are present. You will have to find the documentation relevent to the processor you are writing your code for because the CPUID instruction is vender-dependant.

As for running programs on different cores, first you have to start them (as only the first core is started and runs at startup) then manage to run it on a different core. Sadly this is above my ability so I cant help you

michael

Post by michael » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:46 am

Thanks anyway :)

akash

running programs

Post by akash » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:29 am

You will have to find the documentation relevent to the processor you are writing your code for because the CPUID instruction is vender-dependant.

As for running programs on different cores, first you have to start them (as only the first core is started and runs at startup) then manage to run it on a different core. Sadly this is above my ability so I cant help you