MSVC++

If you are new to OS Development, plan on spending some time here first before going into the other forums.

Moderator:Moderators

bill
MSVC++

Post by bill » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:16 am

Hey, sorry to be a bother but i seem to be a bit stuck again lol... Ive been going through the msvc++ tutorial. and i understand the general idea that we have to change options because our os doesnt have the runtime libraries that normal c++ programs require. I can't seem to locate alot of the options that i need to change tho. I should say now that i have microsoft 2005 visual c++ express edition, if there is a big difference. I imagined that the compiler would still have the same options tho, however the screens were different and i looked for the command line little codes but didnt find the same ones discussed.

Ive always hated the compiler, so many options i dont seem to understand lol

I guess my question is, will this version work? and if it does does anyone know a good place i can read about these options (I have looked alot lol)

Thanks, and other then this everything is going very well :-)

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:40 am

Hey,

The tutorial actually sets up the express edition of visual C++ as it is more freely available.

We are thinking of adding more content to that tutorial as it is a little hard to understand, specifically for readers without that much experience with MSVC++ nor how its runtime works.

The end demo includes a complete kernel project with all of the options set that you may use to learn where the options are located at. It should work "as is" without any further modification.

Later editions of visual studio can convert the project as well, so it should work with later versions as well.

We hope to have the DJGPP and GCC tutorials up soon for readers that prefer to use them, and to insure our system is portable among compiliers.
Lead Programmer for BrokenThorn Entertainment, Co.
Email: webmaster@brokenthorn.com

bill

Post by bill » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:01 pm

downloading the demo was a good idea

I downloaded it and now some of the options that weren't showing up on the screen before are now there. Ill go test and see if the code compiles+runs

thanks again