osdev 4 dummies

If you are new to OS Development, plan on spending some time here first before going into the other forums.

Moderator:Moderators

zfos
osdev 4 dummies

Post by zfos » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:37 am

is there a site with an osdev for dummies because i can't really understand the code, and want to actually be able to right a functional os with a gui and app compatibility (run linux programs and wine, etc.) so the os is actually usable withour custom-builds of software. can you guys explain to me how to do this or help me in any way?

gzaloprgm

Post by gzaloprgm » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:52 am

Hello ZFos!
First of all, making a good kernel and operating system requires lots of patience and time.

Also, if you wanna make your own OS from SCRATCH, you must learn at least some x86 assembler and know C/C++, you must know how to use pointers, access memory, make bits operations, etc.

Then, you should read some tutorials in the osdev.org wiki, you can complement it with the bootloader in brokenthorn.

Also, always remember that *nix, bsd, windows weren't written by only one man.

If you completed your kernel and you have a graphics driver capable of setting video mode, a gui capable of setting and getting pixels and you want to run windows or linux apps, you'll have to rewrite the wine/winex/cedega code to fit your needs.

Keep in mind that running natively apps from another os is almost impossible, because they use other system calls, other functions, etc.

If you want to make a linux based os, you should read the Linux from Scratch guide (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/) which can help you making your own linux distribution, but you must know about linux makefiles, packages, compiling the kernel, loading grub/mbr.

Andyhhp

Post by Andyhhp » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:38 am

I agree with gzaloprgm
s there a site with an osdev for dummies because i can't really understand the code
Writing any part of an operating system is not something a 'dummie' can do.

And even if someone is kind enough to give you a base OS framework that needs a GUI adding, invariably after a while, you are going to want to extend some of the base functionality. At this point, you are stuck because you have no idea how to.

Also, the same will apply if you encounter any bug that isn't entirely part of your GUI code.

In short, you either start an OS from the beginning so you do your best to understand what is happening, or you stick to 'normal' programming.

Sorry to be so negative,

Andrew

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:12 pm

Hey,

What is it that you do not understand? If there is anything that you do not understand, please let [us] know so we may be able to improve the series alot more :)

<i>ps: Next tutorial+demo will be coming out some time this week. Im going to be finishing up the demo either today or tomorrow. The tutorial itself is practically complete...Can't wait to get it up!</i>
Lead Programmer for BrokenThorn Entertainment, Co.
Email: webmaster@brokenthorn.com

juFo

Post by juFo » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:16 am

oh can't wait for the tutorial :)
but damn need more spare time to tests & read everything

ehenkes

Re: osdev 4 dummies

Post by ehenkes » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:50 pm

Writing any part of an operating system is not something a 'dummie' can do.
I am sure that "OSDEV 4 dummie" is nearly not possible with the usual C & asm (Intel and AT&T syntax) approach, but Mike's and others' tutorial might help that "OSDEV made easy" could be achieved. I am writing an OSDEV tutorial by myself ( http://www.henkessoft.de/OS_Dev/OS_Dev1.htm ). Hence, I know that it is a lot of work to get such an opus ongoing and keep it homogenious and understandable. Great work!