Build, rebuild problem

If you are new to OS Development, plan on spending some time here first before going into the other forums.

Moderator:Moderators

venk
Build, rebuild problem

Post by venk » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:29 pm

Hello

I am having some problems.
I downloaded the demo from the tutorial on software interrupts, I built it and it worked. When I rebuild it, it gives an error that _aullshr is an unresolved external symbol.

If I edit it and just build it, no changes happen, so I guess I will have to rebuild it.

I used Visual C++ 2008 Express edition (free)

Thanks
Help Me!!
SOS!!

Wabbit

Re: Build, rebuild problem

Post by Wabbit » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:35 pm

I had this problem too, also with demo12. I persuaded it to compile by setting "Linker -> Input -> Ignore all default libraries" to No for Kernel/Lib, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. The _aullshr function is used when a uint64 is shifted right (I think it stands for Arithmetic Unsigned Long Long Shift Right), and that is used a few times in the code, although after a quick look it seemed to me that unsigned longs would have sufficed.

Anyway, I had another look through the demos just now and I noticed that demo11 has this function in lib/cstd.cpp and so doesn't need any default libraries. For some reason it's missing from the others, even demo12, but maybe using that copy of cstd.cpp will fix the problem for you.
venk wrote:Hello

I am having some problems.
I downloaded the demo from the tutorial on software interrupts, I built it and it worked. When I rebuild it, it gives an error that _aullshr is an unresolved external symbol.

If I edit it and just build it, no changes happen, so I guess I will have to rebuild it.

I used Visual C++ 2008 Express edition (free)

Thanks

venk

Post by venk » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:41 am

Thanks it worked.

Sometimes unforeseen bugs can creep in, but this tutorial has very few

Thanks to Mike for this wonderful tutorial
Help Me!!
SOS!!

Mike
Site Admin

Re: Build, rebuild problem

Post by Mike » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:31 pm

Wabbit wrote:Anyway, I had another look through the demos just now and I noticed that demo11 has this function in lib/cstd.cpp and so doesn't need any default libraries. For some reason it's missing from the others, even demo12, but maybe using that copy of cstd.cpp will fix the problem for you.
Thanks for letting me know about that :) I will see if we can add the function to the other tutorials.

Useually when later tutorials/chapters get updated, all previous demos and some tutorials need to get updated as well so things get a little harder to manage and maintain.