Tutorial Error's Thread

If you are new to OS Development, plan on spending some time here first before going into the other forums.

Moderator:Moderators

andrewq2
Tutorial Error's Thread

Post by andrewq2 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:24 am

Tut #3
Sectors
A "Sector" simply represents a goupe of 512 bytes. So, Sector 1 represents the first 512 bytes of a disk.
It should most likely be group not goupe.
Tut # 6
FAT12 Filesystem - Theory
FAT12 is the first FAT (File Allocation Table) Filesystem released in 1977, and used in Microsoft Disk BASIC. FAT12, as being an older filesystem generally released for floppr disks, had a number of limtations.
Probably should be Floppy
Also in tut # 6 right after that error is this one
FAT12 has no support for hierarchical directories. This means there is only one directory-Thr Root Directory.
Most likely should be the
Yet another error in FAT12 Filesystem - Theory
To make things simple, we are going to use FAT12. We might spruce things up with FAT16 (or even use FAT32) later :) (FAT32 is quite different then FAT 12/16, so we might ust use FAT16 later.)
Should be just
In FAT12 FileSystem - Disk Storage
0 through 10, hmm... thats 11 bytes. Having a filename less then 11 bytes will miss up the data entry (The 32 byte entry table displayed above). This, of course, is bad :) Because of this, we have to pad the filenames with characters, and insure it is 11 bytes.
Should be mess

Tut # 7
In x86 Real Mode Memory Map
For example, remember when we talked about INT 0x19? We refrenced that writing the value 0x1234 at 0x0040:0x0072, and jumping to 0xFFFF:0, we effectivly warm reboot the computer. (Simular to Windows ctrl+alt+del.) Remembering the conversion between seg:offset addressing mode and absolute addressing, we can convert 0x0040:0x0072 to the absolute address 0x000000472, a byte within the BIOS data area.
Should be Similar.

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:27 pm

There are too many syntax errors in the series; I am more interested in the content of the series for now rather then syntax.

However I do plan on fixing up all syntax errors on the next series revision, which may also include a new format for the series to make it easier to follow and more straightforward.

I am still thinking how I want to proceed with it though.

Wabbit

Post by Wabbit » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:17 am

Yup, I think most ppl are more interested in the content than the syntax/grammar/spelling!

andrewq2: I'm sure Mike will get around to fixing them in due course but the odd spelling error isn't going to be a priority. As long as it doesn't cause confusion, it doesn't really matter.