C++ kernel?

If you are new to OS Development, plan on spending some time here first before going into the other forums.

Moderator:Moderators

andrewq2
C++ kernel?

Post by andrewq2 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:15 am

I know a lot of c++ and wanted to make an os but i see a lot of c tut's but no c++ and i don't want to learn c also then i might get confused. what i want to know is is it possible to write a kernel in c++ and if so is there any links to help me?

LordMage

Post by LordMage » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:39 am

It is completely possible, in the Tutorials by mike, he coments about possible releasing the demos in C++ even though to date he hasn't done it. The differences between c and c++ are small really. in c you use structs and typedefs, in c++ you use classes with public and private members. but the basic code is the same. It just takes different organization. I took all of the code in the tutorials here and converted it to namespaces and classes before I decided to go back to the drawing board. I will have to redo all of it based on what I have learned but I too plan on making my kernel c++. I don't know of any good tutorials for this but I do know where some demo code that will get you basically upto a cheap console without paging and such. I would suggest using mikes idt and gdt code instead of what is in the code I will show you. Although you can use the layout/format of what is in the code. anyway I wish you luck and here is the page you can find that sample at:

http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/sc ... 8&lngWId=3

Again, I would say that is barebones and would benefit much from what is explained in mikes tutorials.
There is only one reason to do anything. You enjoy it.

Andyhhp

Post by Andyhhp » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:51 pm

It is easy to addapt the tutorials as they stand to being in C++. I have always done my kernel in C++ while following the tutorials.

Due to time, and repeatedly breaking computer(s) i am a long way behind the tutorials in the ammount of code I have actually made.

However, when I managed to read my old partiton, I shall post the basic structure I have so you can use it as a pointer (excuse the pun) if you want.

~Andrew