Chapter 22 update - when??

If you are new to OS Development, plan on spending some time here first before going into the other forums.

Moderator:Moderators

HeinanXP
Chapter 22 update - when??

Post by HeinanXP » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:36 pm

Hello,
I just want to know when the update for the chapter 22 will be uploaded? (The writing to a file tutorial) because I really need this to my OS (HeinanOS) because I want to release Milestone 2 and this is the only thing left for me to add.

halofreak1990

Re: Chapter 22 update - when??

Post by halofreak1990 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:31 pm

If you really want to have Mike write the code that allows writing to the floppy drive, patience is a virtue.
This OS Development Series is being maintained in his spare time, which explains the (sometimes) long waits between updates.

If you don't want to wait, you can go ahead and try to turn a copy of the read file code to write data to a file, like some members here have already done.

[offtopic]Also, don't rely on virtual machines when developing an OS. Otherwise, when transitioning to real hardware, you WILL encounter problems. Design the OS to work flawlessly on both instead. The OS Development Series relies on the use of virtual machines, which are not always fully compatible with real hardware, as I found out when I tried reading from the floppy on real hardware.[/offtopic]

Mike
Site Admin

Re: Chapter 22 update - when??

Post by Mike » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:35 pm

Hello,

I apologize for the series not being updated in some time; have been quite busy with other things. There are several updates planned for the series, including a release of the next chapter (single tasking) either this week and/or next week depending on how much free time I have.
Lead Programmer for BrokenThorn Entertainment, Co.
Email: webmaster@brokenthorn.com