"Noob" Questions

If you are new to OS Development, plan on spending some time here first before going into the other forums.

Moderator:Moderators

wererabit
"Noob" Questions

Post by wererabit » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:39 am

Hi guys,

I just re-installed my pc and get to windows 7 64 bits. Now I have problem with Virtual Floppy Drive, since it doesn't working in 64 bits mode. Does anyone know any good other virtual floppy drive I could use instead?

Thank you

Fanael

Re: "Noob" Questions

Post by Fanael » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:56 am

wererabit

Post by wererabit » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:19 am

Thanks for the input. I already tried that but it doesnt work.( It is a new sys file)

Andyhhp

Post by Andyhhp » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:04 pm

Windows Vista/7 x64 will only allow signed to be loaded (i.e. Microsoft Approved)

VFD is not a M$ approved driver so isnt digitally signed.

However, If you really want to load it, when booting your computer, hit F8 (like you would use to get to safe mode) and instead select "Disable driver security checks", which will allow you to load unsigned x64 drivers. This has to be repeated every time you restart if you wish to continue using the unsigned driver.

The reason for making is so hard to run unsigned drivers is to prevent the problems that affected all 32bit versions of windows. Windows on its own is a very stable system (I say this with a great sence of irony since windows updates made my computer non-bootable yesterday, but ignore that fact). In 32bit mode, any joe public could write a driver and sell it to people, and it would work. Ish. There were many people who distributed drivers which had bugs in. These bugs were the cause of almost all crashes/BSODs which were incorrectly blamed on Microsoft, not the 3rd party drivers.

For 64bit versions, Microsoft prevents unsigned drivers from working, so that all drivers which do work, have been approved and deemed "unlikely to cause any problems"

~Andrew

wererabit

Post by wererabit » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:45 am

thanks, that was really helpful

htcoles

Post by htcoles » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:15 am

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/200 ... 4-bit-x64/

describes the solution mentioned here, as well as a couple more