Building the kernel

If you are new to OS Development, plan on spending some time here first before going into the other forums.

Moderator:Moderators

venk
Building the kernel

Post by venk » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:06 pm

Hello,

I am following this tutorial, I downloaded the 6th tutorial, and copied it some here, some there etc.

Can anyone help me on how to actually build it and create the KRNL32.EXE file

PS: in the entry file, how does it know from which file to load the main from? in extern main

Is it all right if I only made the entry file
Help Me!!
SOS!!

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:36 pm

Can anyone help me on how to actually build it and create the KRNL32.EXE file
What is the problem that you are having? The series real kernel and how to build it is described in <a href="http://www.brokenthorn.com/Resources/OS ... ml">Kernel Setup: MSVC++ 2005</a> Tutorial 6 does not describe this.
PS: in the entry file, how does it know from which file to load the main from? in extern main
The compiler doesnt. That is for the linker. The linker will look through the object files to find where main() is located to link it. As long as main() is defined within a translation unit (A compiled source file) built in the project, it should work fine.
Is it all right if I only made the entry file
Of course ;) Just take out any external dependencies (like _main, for example) and rebuild. As long as all dependencies are out of the entry file, it should work.