OS Development Series

If you are new to OS Development, plan on spending some time here first before going into the other forums.

Moderator:Moderators

brwarner
OS Development Series

Post by brwarner » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:43 am

Hey, I don't want to sound impatient or anything like that - but is the OS Development series still being developed, because without dates on the tutorials I can't tell when the last one was actually posted.

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:23 am

It is still being written.

We have found several problems with the series 2nd stage boot loader that can cause errors in the kernel and hardware compatibility problems. It has been resolved, but all demos and tutorials need to be updated with the new code...This is what I am currently working on. I will see if I can work on it throughout the week to hopefully get them updated.

Also, there are some design aspects of the series that I do not like...ie; duplicate topics. I am considering modifying the way the series is designed to make it easier to follow.

Because of this, I decided to temporarily halt the series until the 2nd stage tutorials are updated, along with a new MSVC++ tutorial as I made several new changes to the kernel (ie, it is now a real EXE and not a DLL)

As always, any feedback is very much appreciated :) ...And sorry for the delay :(

brwarner

Post by brwarner » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:28 am

Ok, thanks for the quick replay.
Also, if you are interested I am following your tutorial using DJGPP and have found a pretty good and easy set up for it using GNU Make for Windows. If you want I can post how.

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:19 am

Actually we do not have a DJGPP tutorial yet. I plan on uploading one soon, though.

If you do know of an easy setup I would be glad to hear it! It might be a bit easier then the usual set up that developers use (gcc+ld linker ;) )

*ps: Tutorials 8 and 9 have been updated.

brwarner

Post by brwarner » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:01 pm

Well, I do use gcc to compile and ld to link, however - there are a few other things I have in place that make things easier. For example, in your tutorials you have different projects for the Kernel and HAL, and then they are linked into the Lib project. I accomplish this by compiling both the kernel and HAL with ar (another program with DJGPP) which creates static libraries which can then be linked in using ld. Also, for improved project management I use GNU make for windows, which allows you to use handy makefiles to keep compiling easy with no batch scripts. GNU Make Download and there is also a manual there for making the makefiles. Later I can post my entire project if you wish.[/url]

P.S: How can I tell what information is updated in the tutorials so I may modify myy work accordingly?

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:28 pm

P.S: How can I tell what information is updated in the tutorials so I may modify myy work accordingly?
I have started putting "(Updated)" next to each tutorial that has been updated in some way.

We will be removing the "(Updated)" text when all tutorials are up-to-date and make a notice of the series updates on the main website page.

The code changes will only be in the 2nd stage boot loader (minor, but bug fixes) and the kernel. More specifically, Tutorial 9, Tutorial 11, Kernel Setup: MSVC++, and Tutorial 17. Everything else should be the same.
For example, in your tutorials you have different projects for the Kernel and HAL, and then they are linked into the Lib project.
I should also note this change. The new kernel has three projects: Hal (Lib), Crt (Lib) and Kernel (exe, Not a dll anymore). The Hal and Crt are linked into the kernel. I guess this also means alot of the demos will need to be updated as well ;)

I feel this may be an easier and better design. What do you think?

I like the idea of using GNU Make. I am going to look more into that when I get off of work.

zfos

DJGPP

Post by zfos » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:39 pm

There is an easier setup (DJGPP) at
http://www.osdever.net/downloads.php
It includes a real setup
and some other useful programs at this site

brwarner

Re: DJGPP

Post by brwarner » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:40 am

zfos wrote:There is an easier setup (DJGPP) at
http://www.osdever.net/downloads.php
It includes a real setup
and some other useful programs at this site
When we said setup we meant a project organization for using DJGPP and a system for doing the same thing as Microsoft Visual Studio, not a setup as in installer.

Also Mike, your proposed changes look interesting - I look forward to the future of your tutorials :)