Tutorials

Feedback? Questions? Comments? All discussions on the articles and tutorials hosted or developed by us go in here.

Moderator:Moderators

juFo
Tutorials

Post by juFo » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:47 pm

Nice tutorials about OS Development!
fun reading :)

I was just wondering when the 'missing' parts will go online and how further/deeper you will go with these tutorials? (like creating OS GUI/overlapping windows/...)

Mike
Site Admin

Re: Tutorials

Post by Mike » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:10 pm

Hey,

Thanks for your feedback :)

The "Missing parts" will be written and uploaded soon. I wanted to go a little deeper in the kernel before the DJGPP and GCC tutorials. This way, I have more code to test compatibility with.

I dont know how far I will go with the series. I am hoping on developing a basic GUI shell and graphical interface. Mabey further :)

I am taking everything one step at a time and slowly to insure we do not run into a problem, as the system is being developed along with the series.

It is fun to write, and I am glad you have enjoyed them :)
Lead Programmer for BrokenThorn Entertainment, Co.
Email: webmaster@brokenthorn.com

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:14 pm

As for Tutorial 15, it should be up soon. It goes quite deep in errors, exception, and interrupt handling and management. We will also develop our own BSoD, and say goodbye to triple faults.

juFo

Post by juFo » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:23 pm

Oh nice :)

I'm just at the 'bootloaders' tutorials now but still I like it. Going to set a test pc up tomorrow and test a bootloader with that bochs stuff (because I don't want anything to happen with this pc here :D)

In school we see some things about the pc and how the tables work and basic segment protection, protected mode, etc..

I'm glad your tutorials teach not only the coding part but give you some lessons about the pc/system itself. Reading something different here than my basic schoolcourse sometimes opens my view on things.

I hope i don't get into troubles when I will need to do the C++ stuff. I've just seen C# in school.

Keep the tutorials going!

(btw you will find me in your chatroom #eveh3d when i'm online & sorry for my 'bad' english)

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:51 pm

I hope i don't get into troubles when I will need to do the C++ stuff. I've just seen C# in school.
C# is quite similar to C++ in alot of ways, so it may not be that much harder. :)

Andyhhp

Post by Andyhhp » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:22 am

In school we see some things about the pc and how the tables work and basic segment protection, protected mode, etc..
Where do you go to school?

Even in OS lectures at Cambridge, we don't cover anything in this much detail.

We do a lot of theory such as paged vs segmented memory management and polled vs interrupt IO but no specific coding examples. We might move onto some code example when we do the case studies which should be starting in about 45mins (from writing this part of the post).

As for C++ vs C#, the syntax is fairly similar but you have much more control at a lower level (e.g. pointer arithmetic which is very useful when used correctly), and the ability to insert inline assembly for anything you cant directly do in C++.

The main problem when writing an OS in any higher level language is the lack of libraries that you normally use for 'normal' programming - but writing these libraries is a good way to learn!

Andrew